18 October 2005

...flying the friendly skies....sometimes too friendly...

so do you sleep on planes? usually i have more then a tough time falling asleep on a plane....but today was a tad different. i didn't get to bed all too early last night (too busy spending a few moments with friends as the convention closed up) and my alarm went off all to early this morning-
so up i got- way before i ever ever ever wanted to see the day- but up i got to finish packing and head off to the air port. so pretty smooth go to the airport- got there....got checked in....got on plane....here is where things got interesting...
so as i get on the plane as typical the person i was assigned to sit next too was already settled in their seat and i was the window seat. well he gets up...i put my stuff up and get settled. we start having some conversation- you know just nice convo- 'how are you?'- 'where you from?' etc....you know nice little chit-chat.... which is great when you are gonna be sitting next to someone for 3 hours....
well the plane takes off- we finally hit the right place where the little bell chimes and you know it is okay to get out your electric stuff...so i pop out the good o ipod ready to enjoy some crowder and spend some time reflecting on the week (which i have....and will be continuing to do so...and will post more about that later). well i get really really tired...and actually pop my seat back and close my eyes- well not only did i close my eyes- i totally fell asleep. i am not sure excatly how long i was asleep- i woke up the first time as the grouchy little attendant was walking through cleaning up trash from the beverage service (oops missed that one)- funny side bar my seat mate and i agreed that she looked like an exact twin of the wicked witch of the west from the wizard of oz....it was kinda funny....so well i was like whatever and went back to zz land....next time i wake up...i wake up to realize that my seat mate (who's name i don't even know) has fallen asleep. not only has he fallen asleep- he is sleeping on my shoulder! okay....so he is actually close to my age...single....is kinda cute and has great taste in calone....but HELLO...i don't even know his name and he is totally zonked out on me. i kept trying to wake up fully but couldn't- you know that place in sleep when you are awake and asleep- i shifted alittle- and he stays asleep- finally i give up and fall back asleep myself. well next time i wake up....(i am pretty sure i slept at least 2 of the 3 hours) he is not only now sleeping on my shoulder but has cuddled up with me...his hand wrapped around my arm and touching my hand...still zonked out. well this time i was able to wake up more so i shifted and kinda coughed pretending to still be asleep- (i didn't want to embarrass him) he finally wakes up and i can tell he is a little freaked out that he was sleeping on me. i just continue fake sleeping for a few more....then 'wakeup' he doesn't make eye contact with me for the longest time....finally toward the end of the flight he strikes up a conversation with me again. it was all i could do not to start laughing....but i just played nice....played dumb.
i guess it could have been worse...he could have smelled bad and been rude...instead it was just one of those strange- slightly odd- a little uncomfortable- and alot funny (well atleast in my mind it was) flight experiences. sure beats my flight to pittsburgh. but wow....those were the 'friendliest skies' i have ever flown...ha!
okay so stay tuned....more on NYWC experience and reflection coming.....once i recover from cuddling with a guy whos name i don't know....YIKES ....hahahhaa
be blessed....and dream well!

No comments: