19 October 2005

NYWC reflections from the interpreting platform part 1.....


so i must admit- interpreting for the convention is totally different from attending the convention- it is BETTER! yep- i have really really enjoyed being a part of the vol team the past few years- giving back to people who inspire me daily. but there was something totally different about being a part of the vol team as an interpreter. in the past i have spent my time at the HQ desk meeting people, hearing stories, handing out pounds of candy and helping people find their way...
this year was spent with a smaller group of people....and was more tiring then years past- there were times at night that my brain would completely be slushy by the time i crawled into bed at night....but during the event- i was all there....
we actually interpreted a critical concerns course- talk about alot of time with hands flying- wow...I spent my CC in the '3 story evangilism' course- it was a very good cc- even though i was interpreting i did get a lot out of it. not the same as getting to attend- but still it was pretty awesome. people in the class were very accepting and embracing to our deaf attendee- which is always a total plus. most of the stuff was pretty common sense but was a great review and some new insights. and a movie that i have enjoyed in the past but had lost sight of was brought back to mind as they showed a clip from it during the class...i will for sure be checking amistad out again soon.
from the cc we were off to the first gs- Mark Yaconelli gave an amazing talk- i couldn't help but think of a few people in my life that my thought would be 'yeah i would love to unaffirm them too'- if we are honest that is usually our first reaction when we are 'unaffirmed' by others- for me though his talk took me to a place where i wanted to find ways to forgive those that have unaffirmed me in my ministry. for my own hearts sake.... so his talk really got me thinking....and of course the david crowder *band did an amazing job of leading us to the very feet of our Savior. it was a great gs- and getting to interpret for dc*b was amazing- something about interpreting worship just brings me to a place in my heart that is closer to Jesus then anything. it was awesome....i will say though the experince of interpreting for the skit guys is pretty comical....stacey (the other interpreter) and i shared the prodical son skit interpreting- each taking on one character....which went well. but i was left to do the "welcome our new youth pastor" skit myself.....rap and all- it was pretty stinking crazy and funny....
more to come....reflecting time first :-) keep walking the journey has just begun!

1 comment:

tonymyles said...

Wow... I've never thought about the interpreter side of the convention. Very cool! It must feel, um... "unaffirming" to do this. :)