07 October 2005

working on my day off....

....so what good is a day off?
yeah so this is my typical friday- it is my day off...yet i still find myself in my office. CRAZY...what the heck am i thinking- yeah yeah yeah i know lots to do and only so many hours...but why do we work when it is not our time to work? i can tell you i do it some out of boredom...some because i don't feel like i get enough done...and some out of need....
i told myself all week i wasn't going to work today- but well i had to get up early as it was 'pep rally' day at the high school- can i just go on record right now to say that if you have never lived in texas you haven't really experienced high school football insanity! here in good o St'ville they go all out. EVERY friday during football season our high school takes a full hour of classes to get everyone together in the gym to yell, scream, jump up and down and show school spirit. today i sat as i normally do with the parents (yep here everyone- the whole town it seems sometimes) comes to the pep rallies) and just watched. it is interesting to see- it is interesting to experience- it is something that still to this day baffles my mind.
you see we can't just have a simple pep rally- nope...we have to go over the top....we have to take propane takes and fill them with ball barrings so we can shake them to sound like an attack of the yellowjacket (the school mascot....well if you are a boy...if you are a girl you are a honeybee) ...i don't have anything against it really- i mean i will say i believe we take it a little too far....but i do like the idea of encouraging the students to have some spirit...but yes the pride does come in the way sometimes....it just baffles me what we choose to get so excited about. yes yes yes here it comes.....sike...no it doesn't i am not about to say 'i just wish we gave Jesus the same cheers we give at friday night football' ....because what happens on friday nights is too much- it put on and it is forced.....there is HYPE in the air....there is some excitment....but at the end of the night everyone goes home and it is over....
so today it just hit me that here in texas we tend to go to far....and when i am tired it really seems so....it also hit me that i find one excuse after the other to work when i should be truly taking my day off...wow today has been a day...and with that i am gonna go get my hair done....new hair is a great adventure of a great day....and besides this ramble needs to end...what the heck? ahhhh welcome to my friday.

No comments: